The women’s soccer team started its 2013 campaign with a commanding 5-0 win over the Akron Zips on Friday evening.

Just 68 seconds after the initial whistle, junior Chinyelu Asher found the back of the net for the Boilers by putting away the ball from close range through a crowd of players.

Purdue’s offense would continue to hum on a balanced passing attack that spread the Zips’ defenders across the pitch.

Quick footwork and deft passing between senior Hadley Stuart and freshman Maddy Williams would net the pair one and two goals, respectively, before the end of the first period. Williams also provided the assist on Stuart’s goal and remarked on duo’s offensive potency.

“Hadley works so hard to get those goals, it’s really nice to just get a little flick and she takes someone on and hits it far post,” said Williams. “She’s a senior, she deserves stuff like that. So it’s really good to see her get a goal.”

The final goal of the night was put in by redshirt junior Mollie Kuramoto in the 53rd minute.

After a couple years that lacked consistent goal-scoring during stretches, head coach Robert Klatte was pleased with the creative offensive spark showed by his players, especially Williams, who has now scored three times in two matches.

“I really feel like those two [Williams and Stuart] are building a great rapport together," Klatte said. "You’ve got a senior and a freshman. Maddy’s got such a great touch, back to pressure, just little one touch layoffs. And Hadley Stuart is so fit, her willingness to run off the ball and combine. Williams] is a finisher and that’s something we’ve missed over the course of the last two years, so it’s exciting that she can do that.”

The Boilers will return to the pitch for their final match in the Boilermaker Challenge Cup on Sunday at 2 p.m. to face off against the Xavier Musketeers.