Kelsey Barlow’s “choke” a sore spot for IU - Purdue Exponent: Sports

Kelsey Barlow’s “choke” a sore spot for IU

Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:00 am

As the clock wound down on Purdue's 75-72 win at Indiana last season, then-freshman guard Kelsey Barlow became the most hated man in Bloomington, Ind., in one swift movement.

Caught on ESPN's cameras with 11.5 seconds to go, Barlow reached his hands to his throat to imitate choking as he stared down Hoosier guard Verdell Jones III.

Just don't expect him to do it again.

"I'm really sorry for that," Barlow said. "That was just immaturity and hopefully they can forgive me because I didn't mean that in any type of mean way, I suppose.

"I was kind of clowning, you know. I was on the bench for, like, eight minutes; that was about the longest I'd been on the bench for a stretch last year and I was kind of just being a cheerleader. I don't know what prompted me to do that; I wasn't even thinking."

However insignificant the move seemed, it didn't ingratiate him to fans and opponents - especially those wearing cream and crimson. That's why an Assembly Hall that has vilified alumnus Chris Kramer and injured forward Robbie Hummel in the past is likely to turn its attention to Barlow when the teams clash for a rematch on Wednesday.

"He's definitely going to be the most hated man in the arena," senior guard E'Twaun Moore said. "But we've got his back; he's our teammate."

It might not go down as Barlow's favorite memory in a Purdue uniform, but junior guard Lewis Jackson and Moore find it to be their favorite from playing in Bloomington.

"Honestly, coach (Matt Painter) will probably get mad but (my favorite memory) was when Kelsey made the choke sign," Jackson said. "It was worth it because he'll always be in the history and 10 years from now everyone will remember when Barlow gave the choke sign down there."

Although Barlow may be apologetic about the move, he still doesn't mind adding fuel to an already fiery rivalry.

"We're not here to get along," Barlow said. "We're here to beat them, you know what I'm saying? It's all going to be competitive so it'll be a good time."

Purdue (22-5, 11-3 Big Ten) and Indiana (12-15, 3-11) will tip off for their second game of the season at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in Bloomington, Ind. The game will be televised on the Big Ten Network.

Exponent Sports Desk