Painter confident with incoming freshmen and returning veterans - Purdue Exponent: Sports

Painter confident with incoming freshmen and returning veterans

Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:00 am | Updated: 10:33 am, Wed Jun 27, 2012.

Purdue basketball coach Matt Painter said in a teleconference it is still too early to judge the freshmen, but he said "all guys have a chance to play."

"It's good to see guys get in a flow," Painter said. "You could tell guys put time in their game."

One of the best things about new recruits, according to Painter, are the surprises that come with them. There's plenty of speculation, but Painter said it's just that, and he won't know for sure how recruits will play until the fall.

"You don't know what to expect," he said. "I'm still waiting for them to do something. Recruits don't have flaws; it's hard to be good right away."

Painter said he is working the recruits hard, but making a note to not "over-train" them while building relationships. He said he wants everyone to be healthy in the fall, including senior D.J. Byrd, who Painter said had suffered a stress fracture in his fibula.

The injury was caught a few weeks ago, according to Painter, and he "gets out of the boot" on Tuesday.

"We're being cautious, but I'm not really concerned about it," Painter said. "I think D.J. Byrd will be one of the better players in the league this season."