Former offensive coordinator Gary Nord files lawsuit against Purdue - Purdue Exponent: Sports

Former offensive coordinator Gary Nord files lawsuit against Purdue

Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:00 am

Former offensive coordinator Gary Nord claims that a fall he had in a weight room was due to Purdue and a subcontractor’s negligence. Nord, along with former head coach Danny Hope, were fired at the end of the 2012 season.

According to court documents filed on June 3, former assistant football coach Nord has filed a lawsuit as a result of injuries he sustained in a fall.

Nord missed the final three games due to what Hope called a “severe back injury.” The complaint claims that the floor in a Mackey Arena weight room caused him to trip and fall, causing serious bodily injuries on Nov. 7, 2012.

The incident occurred just days before the Iowa game, which Nord did not attend. Nord traveled to the Nov. 17, 2012 game at Illinois, but was limited to sitting in the press box. After that game Hope said the bus ride to Champaign was very difficult for Nord, to the point that he couldn’t get off the bus to eat the team dinner. Nord was also seen on crutches at the game against Illinois.

The lawsuit claims that Purdue had an “obligation to maintain its property in a reasonably safe condition” and that Purdue’s property “was maintained in a unreasonably dangerous condition.”

Because of Purdue’s failure to maintain a safe condition, Nord suffered his injuries. The complaint also states that Purdue and Miller’s Flooring America are responsible for personal injuries, physical pain, emotional suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, medical expenses and lost wages.

Former wide receivers coach Patrick Higgins filled the role of offensive coordinator while Nord recovered in the hospital. Higgins was also named as interm head coach after Hope was fired.

Purdue’s legal counsel Barry Loftus and Associate Athletics Director Tom Schott would not comment on the case. Nord’s legal counsel Anthony Patterson did not immediately return The Exponent’s phone calls.

Exponent Sports Desk