Boiler alumni wins U.S. National Track and Field Championship - Purdue Exponent: Sports

Boiler alumni wins U.S. National Track and Field Championship

Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 3:02 pm

A single throw was all one former Boilermaker needed to win her fourth straight national championship.

Kara Patterson, a two time All-American for Purdue and participant in the 2008 Olympic Games, won the women’s javelin title for the fourth consecutive year after this past weekend’s USA Track and Field Outdoor Championships.

As the defending national champion, Patterson was the first thrower to compete. Her first throw of 59.34 meters went unchallenged for the remainder of the event and beat its closest competitor by nearly five meters.

The national crown and her season best throw of 62.76 meters was enough to qualify Patterson to participate in the 2011 World Championships during late August in Korea.

Three more recent Purdue graduates also competed in the national meet: Geoff Davis, Stacey Wannemacher and Shane Crawford.

Davis placed ninth in the high jump during his first appearance at the meet with a career best 2.24 meter jump. Wannemacher took 10th place in women’s shot put with a 16.67 meter throw, just centimeters short of her career and University record holding throw of 16.99 meters. Crawford’s final time of 10.57 seconds in the 100-meter dash was barely a quarter of a second away from advancing to the semifinal heat.