Purdue hires expert in fitness - Purdue Exponent: Sports

Purdue hires expert in fitness

Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:00 am

The Purdue Athletic Department welcomed a new fitness expert as its first director of sports performance.

Athletic director Morgan Burke expects his latest hire, Duane Carlisle, to move the department past its peers.

"He can be a huge impact ... we'd be on the edge of doing something most people haven't figured yet," Burke said.

"People with a good holistic training protocol that will put them in the best position to win."

As the director, Carlisle will oversee and work with the strength training coaches for all 18 sports, with extra attention on football, attempting to improve the overall fitness of Purdue athletes through new approaches to diet plans and exercises that increase flexibility along with strength and conditioning.

Formerly a strength and conditioning coach for the San Francisco 49ers, Carlisle brings vast knowledge in sports training. He assisted in the athletic development of players with the Philadelphia Eagles, Tampa Bay Rays and the Women's United Soccer Association's Philadelphia Charge, while also running his own performance facility in Lightning Fast Training Systems.

"He's such a well-known figure in the fitness area, having worked in the NFL and that the college level," assistant athletic director for communication Tom Schott said. "Working with athletes from every sport, he brings instant credibility."

Carlisle also will be collaborating with the department of health and kinesiology to develop a curriculum to help undergraduates, graduates and interns gain experience and training in their respective fields.

The search for a director of sports performance came about last year after an external review of Purdue's strength and conditioning. Burke said he wanted to see how he could put athletes in the best positions to be successful.

"What came out of that was the recognition across the country the primary emphasis in these areas deals with strength and conditioning," Burke said. "And as we listened to the peer review teams, their feeling was that those were certainly important but you also need to take into consideration flexibility, agility, speed, nutrition and mental training."

The group felt that the athletic department needed to be well-advised when conducting the national search, adding that it should look for someone who could not only develop programs for each sport but develop one for each athlete in a given sport. The department thought Carlisle was the person most qualified to accomplish that.

Exponent Sports Desk