Boudia talks about Olympic experience - Purdue Exponent: Sports

Boudia talks about Olympic experience

Related YouTube Video

Related Galleries

Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:10 pm

Former Purdue diver and Olympic medalist David Boudia said he didn't remember anything from his gold medal winning dive.

“I was so relaxed, so content,” Boudia said. “It was almost like I wasn't even diving. I remember swinging my arms off the takeoff and then getting out of the pool. It is bizarre to think I don't remember doing three flips and then diving, but that is what the athletic zone is.”

The Noblesville, Ind. native has been been going non-stop after he became the first American men's 10-meter platform gold medalist since 1988.

“It's hard to believe Saturday night I was in London diving in a final and now I'm finally back home,” Boudia said. “The morning after the event the media lady asked me if I could fly to New York to be on the Today Show for Monday morning. I took a flight home at midnight Sunday and have gotten a few breaths since then.”

Boudia's diving career started in 1996 when he told his parents he wanted to become an Olympian. His parents spent hours each day driving him to gymnastics, soccer and other practices until 2000 when he discovered diving.

Boudia considered going pro in 2008 but decided to wait. He said the decision has been one of the best in his entire life.

“Coming to Purdue has shown me (so much),” Boudia said. “I've learned so much about myself and made me wiser and smarter as a person. This University has been a huge blessing.”

Now that the Olympics are over and Boudia is out of what he calls his training bubble he said he plans to try his hand at several other sports from beach volleyball to joining the Purdue intramural soccer team and even training for gymnastics, specifically vault, in the 2016 Rio De Janeiro games.

“I'm a dreamer, dreaming isn't a bad thing,” Boudia said. “Now that I have four months off from diving I'm going to give a shot to gymnastics. I did gymanstics before diving and McKayla Marone inspired me. I'm going down to Indy to train (for it).”

As for the returning to the 10-meter board in Rio De Janeiro, Boudia said he will get back to the drawing boards.

“I don't know if I am going to do the 10-meter board again, it was a beautiful ending to that,” Boudia said. “But I am definitely going to do synchronized with Nick McCrory, maybe I'll try to bounce on the lower board.”