Women's roster shows ability to contend - Purdue Exponent: Sports

Women's roster shows ability to contend

Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2012 10:00 am

Torrie Thornton, No. 4 sophomore guard:

Sophomore guard Torrie Thornton played in 18 games last season, averaging 4.7 minutes per game as a freshman. At Carmel High School, Thornton averaged 15.1 points, 8.9 rebounds, 3.6 blocks, 2.8 steals and 2.4 assists per game and was a member of the 2011 Indiana All-Star Team. With a family full of former collegiate basketball players, this Indiana native's experience will hopefully help the young Boilermaker team this season.

Hayden Hamby, No. 10 freshman guard:

Hamby joins the Boilermakers with outstanding credentials from her seasons at West Morgan High School in Trinity, Ala. Hamby was a three sport varsity athlete averaging 34.4 points, 10.3 rebound, 3.1 steals and scoring 1,170 points her senior year for her basketball team. She also led her softball team to a state championship and was named valedictorian of her senior class as she maintained a 4.0 GPA during her high school career.

Courtney Moses, No. 15 junior guard:

Junior guard Courtney Moses, NCAA tournament record holder and school record holder, will co-captain this year's team alongside Drey Mingo. Averaging 10.8 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game, Moses also had the longest free-throw streak in the nation during the 2011-2012 season and led the Big Ten with a 90.7 percent season average.

Dee Dee Williams, No. 20 junior guard:

Playing in every game her entire career here at Purdue, junior guard Dee Dee Williams has averaged 13.5 minutes per game. Williams averaged 1.3 points, and 1.5 rebounds against Tulane, Minnesota and Ohio State last season. Known for her strong defense, Williams' experience will definitely add some depth to this Purdue team.

Joslyn Massey, No. 21 freshman forward

Shooting 50 percent from the field and averaging 11 points and 11 rebounds as a high school senior, Detroit native Joslyn Massey joins the Boilers as a forward. With a sister who played college basketball as well and scoring 25 points and having 20 rebounds in one game her senior year, this high scorer looks like she will put up some big numbers for the Boilers this season.

KK Houser, No. 22 redshirt junior guard:

After redshirting the 2010-2011 season due to a torn ACL, Houser started 32 out of 34 games last season. Houser averaged 9.9 points and 2.4 rebounds and 2.5 steals per game. 85 steals and an 80 percent free throw percentage last season have made Houser a threat in the Big Ten.

Liza Clemons, No. 23 sophomore forward:

Clemons played in 20 games last season for the Boilers. Clemons' highlight game was in the first round of the NCAA tournament against South Dakota State, scoring a season high six points. Averaging 15 points, 11.8 rebounds and 5.7 blocks in high school, this 6-foot-2-inch sophomore forward adds youth and height to this Purdue team.

Drey Mingo, No. 24 redshirt senior forward:

Now a graduate student here at Purdue, this season's co-captain forward Drey Mingo will lead the Boilermakers as she returns for her final season. While putting up big field goal percentages and averaging 5.8 rebounds per game as a co-captain during the 2010-2011 season, Mingo suffered a life-threatening case of bacterial-meningitis that took her out for 4 games. However, Mingo returned to scoring double digits for the Boilers by the end of the season. An ACL tear during an October scrimmage sidelined Mingo for the entire 2011-2012 season, but she was granted a sixth season of eligibility by the NCAA and was awarded the Giant Steps Courageous Student Athlete Award by the National Consortium for Academics and Sports.

April Wilson, No. 25 freshman guard:

April Wilson, Kentucky high school state champion and MVP, will join the Boilers this season after averaging 12.7 points, 4.9 rebounds and 3.2 assists her senior year in high school. Scoring 1,654 points in her high school career, this 5-foot-7-inch freshman joins Hayden Hamby as one of the two guards of this recruiting class.

Sam Ostarello, No. 32 senior forward:

Standing at 6-foot-2-inches, senior forward Sam Ostarello averaged a team high 8.4 rebounds last season. As the only player to start all 34 games, Ostarello averaged 7.9 points, 1.4 assists, and 1.4 blocks per game. Recording 4 double-doubles last season and improving her free-throw percentage by 22 percent since her sophomore year, Ostarello is one of two seniors that will help lead this young Boilermaker team.

Camille Redmon, No. 42 redshirt sophomore forward

Purdue's tallest women's basketball player, Camille Redmon, will join the Boilermakers on the court for the first time after redshirting last year when she transferred from Grayson County College in Texas. This 6-foot-4-inch forward/center will join the Boilermakers after averaging 11.7 points, 6.9 rebounds, 3.5 blocks and 49 percent from the field as the NTJCAC Defensive Player of the Year.

Chantel Poston, No. 43 redshirt senior guard:

Redshirt senior guard Chantel Poston finished strong last season by scoring in double digits in four of the last eight games. Poston averaged 8.4 points, 4.4 rebounds, 1.6 assists, and 1.2 blocks with a 70 percent free throw percentage last season. Poston also set the Purdue women's basketball weight lifting record in squats and power clean in summer 2010. This senior, along with Sam Ostarello, will use her experience to lead the Boilermakers this season.

Taylor Manuel, No. 50 freshman forward:

This 6-foot-2-inch forward from St. Louis joins the Boilers as the 2012 Miss Show-Me Basketball for the state of Missouri. Being awarded Conference MVP and Missouri Basketball Coaches Association Player of the Year, Manuel averaged 15.6 points, 9.5 rebound, 4.2 assists and 2.8 blocks her senior year of high school.

Whitney Bays, No. 52 junior forward:

Bays has to sit out the season due to NCAA transfer regulations, but brings strong stats from her high school career with the Maryland Terrapins. Two-time Gatorade Player of the Year, No. 3 forward in the country and 2009 West Virginia Player of the Year, Bays was recruited by the Terrapins in 2010. After suffering a knee injury, Bays contributed an average of 2.3 point and 2.7 rebounds per game for her former university.