Hope says successful season is obtainable - Purdue Exponent: Sports

Hope says successful season is obtainable

Related YouTube Videos

Posted: Monday, November 5, 2012 10:00 am | Updated: 2:20 pm, Mon Nov 5, 2012.

Sitting with a 3-6 mark and three regular season games remaining, it is impossible for Purdue to finish with a better record than last season’s mark.

However, Purdue head coach Danny Hope said Purdue can still finish with a successful season if it wins out and goes to postseason play.

“It may not be any more successful than last season, but it is still a successful season,” Hope said. “We’re not comparing this season to last season to base our level of success or not, it’s based off what we have in place right now in front of us. I think if we win the next three ball games and go to postseason play, I think that would be a good sign for our football team and our football program.”

When asked if he was concerned he was going to get fired, Hope said that he wasn’t worried about his job security.

“I’m not concerned about that one bit to be quite honest with you,” Hope said.

Cornerback Ricardo Allen said it’s hard for him to hear the speculation on Hope’s job security.

“I love Coach Hope,” Allen said. “Coach Hope is one of my favorite coaches. I think he’s a great coach. It’s sad that he is getting this reputation because Coach Hope is not a losing coach, he is a winning coach. Everybody puts so much blame on him, but Coach Hope doesn’t call the plays. He doesn’t make any calls … Any day, I would go to war for Coach Hope.”

Hope likes effort of team

Before practice Sunday, Hope seemed a little bit confused once again why the result was so disappointing for his squad.

After a week of players-only meetings and coaches meeting privately with team leaders, he said he expects more of the same in preparation for the team’s road game with Iowa.

“They’ll have the same types of meetings. Obviously our team collectively has to make a choice to go out there and give their best effort from a practice standpoint and a preparation standpoint.

“I don’t question their effort,” Hope said. “I love the way they worked over the course of the week and I think we showed up yesterday ready to play. We scored on our opening drive and then had some three-and-outs and five-and-outs.”

He also said that the lack of success after gaining good field position led to the bad result. But he refuses to let the losses get to his team’s head.

“You can’t allow a lack of success to take your spirit away,” Hope said, adding: “You can’t allow a lack of support to take your spirit away.”