Purdue kicks off 2012 season - Purdue Exponent: Football

Purdue kicks off 2012 season

Posted: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 10:43 am

Purdue’s 2012 football campaign started with the first spring practice of the year on Tuesday. Head coach Danny Hope said that he was pleased with the team’s performance.

"There was a lot of energy," Hope said. "It's really obvious that we have some experienced quarterbacks. I was pleased with how it went and with our quarterback situation."

QB Mystery

Hope did not have much to say about his plan to split up the reps among the four quarterbacks on the team.

“We’ll wait to see what will happen during the spring,” Hope said.

Position changes

Hope talked about quarterback Sean Robinson and his move to the position of linebacker. Robinson

"We're going to give him a shot over there," Hope said. "He was down on the depth charts, and didn't really get enough reps to make a difference this spring. So, we're going to try him in a different position and see how that goes."

Hope made a few other changes, including moving tight end Patrick Bade to offensive tackle and safety Ishmael Arisdale to wide receiver.

"We're really down on the offensive line numbers wise," Hope said. "We needed a tackle prospect, and Bade was the biggest one. He's a very good athlete with good size and range. I like what I've seen so far. He's got a lot of heart."

Still suspended

Athletes OJ Ross (academics)and Dwayne Beckford (legal issues) are not on the spring roster after missing the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl . Bo Hope did not have much to say about the possible return of these players.

"We'll see how it goes," Hope said.

Shavers ready to shine

Hope said that he was looking forward to the performance of running back Akeem Shavers this season.

"I think we're in good shape at the running back position," Hope said. "He (Shavers) has some very redeeming qualities physically. If you take the running backs in the combine and time them all, I believe he would score as well as the top ten percent speed and strength wise. He has a year under his belt, and I think he can be a feature player for us."

Shavers said that he focused on strengthening himself during the offseason to become even better.

"I spent lot of time on my lower body strength," Shavers said. "I worked on ball security as well. I wanted to be able to hold on to the ball in different types of situations."

Shavers also talked about possibly having to play a bigger role due to the injury of running back Ralph Bolden.

"I'm coming out here and giving my all," Shavers said. "If I play a bigger role, that would be nice, but I think it's more about playing my role. We'll just have to see what happens."

Purdue will hold another practice today. They will not practice again until after Spring Break.a