The Senior Bowl coaching staff said they had never seen a smoother field goal unit in practice than they had with Carson Wiggs kicking.

“Carson has a natural, fluid kick, which made it easy for us to build chemistry quickly,” former Wisconsin punter Brad Nortman, the holder on Wiggs’ kicks, said. “His ability to focus under pressure really stood out to me. Every opportunity he had to perform in front of scouts, he had the confidence and focus to dominate, which he did.”

During the week of practice leading up to Saturday’s game, Wiggs also received high praise for his kickoff ability, frequently booting touchbacks five yards deep into the end zone against heavy winds.

“The coaches said they were impressed with my leg strength,” Wiggs said. “It’s good to work with guys at the next level and get the professional point of view. I learned a lot.”

Wiggs was one of the top performers of the Senior Bowl, hitting three field goals from 27, 32, and 28 yards in addition to kicking two extra points in the North team’s 23-13 victory. Nortman said Wiggs was one of the top performers during the week of practice leading up to Saturday’s game.

“He has great potential for the next level,” Nortman said. “He was a great teammate and certainly contributed to our North team win.”

Wiggs also gained attention off the field when he topped the scales at 222 pounds at the Senior Bowl weigh-in, 30 pounds over his media guide listing. He said nobody ever changed his weight for the program since he stepped on campus his freshman year.

“I’ve gradually gained about eight pounds a year since I got to Purdue,” Wiggs said. “Nobody ever got around to changing it.”

Most NFL draft boards slate Wiggs as a seventh-round selection and the second best kicker in the draft behind Georgia’s Blair Walsh. Wiggs admitted it might be a better situation to not be drafted and be an undrafted free agent.

“It would be cool to say I got drafted, but sixth and seventh round isn’t that big of a deal,” Wiggs said. “If I’m an undrafted free agent, I can pick where I go depending on who I think would give me the best opportunity. You never really know. It depends on if teams who need a kicker look toward (me).”

For now, Wiggs is taking 12 credit hours toward his business construction management technology degree and working out Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays with former teammates Chris Carlino and Kurt Lichtenberg. He’s able to work on more kicker-specific workouts, focusing on leg speed, flexibility and cardio.

“I’m not like (Ryan) Kerrigan was last year, guaranteed to go first round and make money,” Wiggs said. “I need to keep working toward my degree. I’m just trying to get better and better every day.”