Paint Crew nominated for student section of the year - Purdue Exponent: Basketball

Paint Crew nominated for student section of the year

Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:13 am | Updated: 5:27 pm, Thu Jan 12, 2012.

The Purdue student section, The Paint Crew, has been nominated as one of the top student sections in the country.

Nearly 80 schools are in the running for the Naismith Student Section of the Year award. The award will be determined through two rounds of public votes, combined with a scoring of finalists by the Naismith Awards Board of Selectors.

Mackey Madman Chris Blaney said it was cool to see The Paint Crew's hard work is paying off.

"We try to do a lot of innovative things to get us to that status," Blaney said. "It is very nice recognition for some of the best fans in college basketball. Im really glad we're finally getting some exposure on a nationall level."

Purdue fans are encouraged to vote for The Paint Crew at facebook.com/ILoveCollegeHoops.

More importantly than the $5,000 purse, Blaney said the bragging rights would be the most important to him.

"The money is nice but being deemed the Naismith name, the creater of basketball, affiliated with our student section is something The Paint Crew can talk about," Blaney said. It would be very nice especially to hang over indiana."

Fans can vote every day until Feb. 12, 2012. Fans can then vote again for the 16 finalists between Feb. 13 through Feb. 28, 2012. The eight top vote-getters from the finalist round will be put in front of the Naismith Board of Selectors to determine the winner.

The Big Ten and Big East have most schools participating, closely followed by the ACC and Big 12.

The winning school wins a $5,000 prize. Voting is now under way and will continue up until Feb. 12.