Painter speaks on D.J. Byrd's arrest - Purdue Exponent: Basketball

Painter speaks on D.J. Byrd's arrest

Related Stories

Related Documents

Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 9:22 am

According to West Lafayette police records, Purdue basketball player David Jonathan Byrd was arrested Thursday night by Indiana State Police on public intoxication charges.

Capt. Gary Sparger of the West Lafayette Police Department was called to Where Else? Bar, 304 W. State St., at 2:53 a.m. because of an alleged fight involving DJ Byrd and a Where Else bartender.

Sparger said the West Lafayette Police Department is investigating the alleged fight, but Byrd was arrested by the Indiana State Police for public intoxication.

Teammate Kelsey Barlow, who left the bar returned with Byrd to find his missing wallet, was not arrested, according to Sparger.

Byrd was booked into Tippecanoe County jail at 3:35 a.m. and released at 8:31 a.m.

Head coach Matt Painter declined to elaborate on D.J. Byrd's situation.

"I am aware of the D.J. Byrd situation and I am still gathering information on it," Painter said.

Pictures on Twitter have emerged of other Purdue basketball players at the scene of the arrest. Painter said he is gathering facts on the involvement of other players, but "doesn't want to speak off of hearsay."

Byrd's arrest came less than 72 hours before Purdue hosts seventh-ranked Michigan State in an important Big Ten matchup for the Boilermakers at Mackey Arena.

"There's never a good time for something like this to occur," Painter said, "but you have to do what's best for your program and make sure each guy learns a lesson, and move forward."

Painter said he hoped to have something to announce in the next 24-36 hours regarding the situation.

Byrd participated in Purdue's practice on Friday.

Exponent Sports Desk