Football team takes day off from practice - Purdue Exponent: Football

Football team takes day off from practice

Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 10:00 am

Purdue head coach Danny Hope said he was proud of his team’s mental toughness and desire to continue to win against Ohio State just a week after suffering a 45-point loss to Wisconsin.

“I think a lot of seniors and leaders stepped up,” Hope said. “After our Thursday night team meeting, the seniors kept the team in afterwards and did a good job of getting them ready to play and ready to go.”

Purdue opted not to practice on Sunday after its overtime victory.

Instead, the Boilermakers watched a film of themselves competing against the Buckeyes, scouted next weekend’s opponent (Iowa) and stretched and ran with strength and conditioning coach Duane Carlisle.

“It’s getting to the point in time of the season (where players are) wearing down a bit mentally and physically,” Hope said.

After a solid performance from both Caleb TerBush and Robert Marve, Hope said he hasn’t “given it much thought” on who will start as quarterback Saturday against Iowa.

Hope said the fact that TerBush was nicked up and had swelling on his arm after taking a big hit contributed to Marve playing as much as he did late in the game.

“My first inclination is to continue the course (with TerBush),” Hope said. “We’ll make that decision as the week goes on.”

Prior to Saturday’s game, freshman reserve offensive tackle Matt Huene was arrested on charges of public intoxication and illegal consumption Saturday at 3:20 a.m. on campus.

The Mount Prospect, Ill., native played one season at the United States Air Force Academy Preparatory School before transferring to Purdue.

Hope said Huene is still a member of the team, and that his punishment will be kept in house.

“He’s obviously going to be punished,” Hope said. “He made a poor decision.

It wasn’t anything that was all that out-of-the-ordinary for a young college student out on a (Friday) night, but he should have been in.”

Hope said he thinks “the light is coming on” for middle linebacker Dwayne Beckford. Beckford has led the Purdue defense in tackles for two weeks with 14 and 10, respectively, against Wisconsin and Ohio State.

“He’s had some reps,” Hope said. “He’s had some coaching. He’s starting to figure it out. He’s a smart guy that has a good motor. ... He’s making a lot of plays and fewer mistakes and is really developing into a good linebacker.”