Purdue holds off No. 25 Central Michigan - Purdue Exponent: Wrestling

Purdue holds off No. 25 Central Michigan

Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 10:00 am

Purdue Sports Information

OREGON, Ohio – The Purdue wrestling team defeated 25th-ranked Central Michigan University (CMU) for the second time in a week on Sunday, edging the Chippewas, 19-18, at Oregon Clay High School, near Toledo. The Boilermakers took advantage of bonus-point victories from sophomore Cashé Quiroga and freshman Brandon Nelsen as they finished the dual schedule 10-10, and notched at least a .500 record for the sixth consecutive season.

“It was a hard-fought win for our guys, but were happy to finish the regular season on a good note,” said Boilermaker head coach Scott Hinkel. “We wanted to come out here and show this area of Ohio some exciting, NCAA Division I college wrestling, and I think we accomplished that goal today.”

The match opened at 125 pounds, where fans got to see the matchup they missed a week ago between Purdue sophomore Camden Eppert and 16th-ranked CMU freshman Joe Roth. Roth scored the only takedown of regulation, but Eppert countered with a second-period escape and a third-period ride-out to force sudden victory.

Quiroga, ranked ninth in the country at 133 pounds, opened up a solid Purdue run with a 12-4 major decision over CMU freshman Zach Horan, needing all seven minutes to secure the bonus point.

CMU opened up a run of its own at 165 pounds as freshman Mike Ottinger came from behind to pin Purdue sophomore Kyle Mosier at 4:23, and freshman Anthony Bill backed it up with a 4-1 decision over Boilermaker rookie Drake Stein at 174. Purdue senior A.J. Kissel ended the run at 197 pounds, dominating Craig Kelliher, 9-2. Kissel spent nearly the whole match in the top position, scoring quick

takedowns in each of the three periods, but Kelliher refused to go to his back as Kissel chased the Purdue career falls record. Kissel went for the kill with seconds left in the match, but the referee stopped the hold and called unnecessary roughness, awarding Kelliher a penalty point and canceling out a would-be major decision.

With the door open, 17th-ranked CMU heavyweight Peter Sturgeon needed a major decision over Purdue sophomore Alex White to win the dual, but White did just enough to hold off his Chippewa opponent, surrendering a 7-2 decision.

The Boilermakers improved to 7-4 all-time against CMU, 3-2 on neutral turf, and earned their third victory over a ranked opponent this season. Hinkel has finished at least .500 in each of his five seasons at the helm, becoming the first coach in school history to accomplish the feat. Purdue returns to action in two weeks, hosting the 2012 Big Ten Championships at Mackey Arena on March 3 and 4.

Exponent Sports Desk