Versyp, Boilers await NCAA destination - Purdue Exponent: Basketball

Versyp, Boilers await NCAA destination

Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 10:00 am

Purdue women’s basketball head coach Sharon Versyp likes the way her team is playing entering Selection Monday for the NCAA Tournament.

“We’re a top-20 team in two polls, and our RPI is 14,” Versyp said. “I would think that we’ve had an incredible resume. I know they look at the end of the year and we’ve won five of our last six. February we stumbled, but now we’re playing great.”

The Boilermakers rebounded from a slump at the end of the regular season to win their conference-best ninth Big Ten Tournament title with victories over Wisconsin, Nebraska and Michigan State.

Purdue played arguably its best basketball of the season in the Big Ten Tournament, starting with the second half of its first-round game at Wisconsin. After trailing Wisconsin 36-35 at halftime, Purdue outscored its opponents by 41 points in the rest of the tournament.

“When we’re playing like that, we’re a very dangerous team,” junior guard KK Houser said. “I’m just glad it’s clicking at this time of the year. We want to send our seniors out on a good note and go as far as we can in the NCAA Tourney.”

With the victories, Purdue likely elevated itself to a six or seven seed to keep itself out of the dangerous 8-9 game that involves playing a No. 1 seed in the second round.

Head coach Sharon Versyp said the Boilermakers don’t care where their name shows up when they watch Monday night’s selection show from the Spurgeon Club in Ross-Ade Stadium.

“The bracket is totally different in women’s,” Versyp said. “You don’t get your true seed. You could be on a S-curve, and be a five-seed and drop down to a seven ... It’s not like the men’s bracket whatsoever. You don’t always get the seed you deserve. We don’t really talk about that type of stuff.”