9/18/19 Big Gigantic

Purdue’s 150th anniversary and its Take Giant Leaps campaign will conclude Oct. 12 with an astronaut reunion celebrating 14 of the university’s alumni.

As part of the festivities, popular hiphop act Big Gigantic will perform with MadeinTYO (pronounced Made in Tokyo) at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 11 on Purdue’s Slayter Hill. Elliott Hall of Music will serve as the rain location, according to a press release.

The Big Gigantic duo are considered pioneers of live electronic music with the band's inception in 2008. Big Gigantic mixes musically mature melodies with addictive beats and samples that are familiar to a Kanye West or LCD Soundsystem single, and crosses all styles of music, from jazz to hip-hop, and from funk to dubstep.

Here are some Homecoming-related activities:

Condoleezza Rice, the former U.S. Secretary of State, will speak Oct. 9. She was the 66th U.S. secretary of state, serving under President George W. Bush. The event is at 6:30 p.m. in Elliott Hall of Music and is free with a ticket. Tickets can be reserved online using the promo code RICE, with a limit of four tickets per person. Tickets also can be reserved by phone – 765-494-3933 or 800-914-SHOW – however, tickets must be picked up at a campus box office by the purchaser using a valid photo ID. 

Alan Stern, a planetary scientist, space program executive, aerospace consultant and author, will speak Oct. 10 on the topic “What If We Return to Pluto?” He has written three books, “The U.S. Space Program After Challenger,” “Pluto and Charon: Ice Worlds on the Ragged Edge of the Solar System” and “Chasing New Horizons.” The event is at 6:30 p.m. in Stewart Center’s Loeb Playhouse. The event is free, but a ticket is required. 

The homecoming parade will be at 8 p.m. Oct. 10. The parade route will begin at Memorial Mall at the intersection of State Street and Oval Drive, will continue onto MacArthur Drive to Third Street, and will end on Martin Jischke Drive just before Stadium Avenue. 

State Street dedication and Discovery Park District launch will be 3 to 5 p.m. Oct. 11 in Squirrel Park at the corner of State Street and Airport Road. This event will feature activities to promote Purdue’s new State Street and Discovery Park District. The event also will highlight research and development being conducted in Discovery Park. Provenance, a new multi-family and single-family neighborhood development, and Crave Food Hall, a 15,000-square-foot food court in the three-building Aspire apartment complex, will be showcased.

The public is welcome to attend a meet and greet with the astronauts 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Oct. 12 at Homecoming Tent Row, located near Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering. Pre-signed headshots of the astronauts will be distributed. The astronauts also will be recognized on the field during halftime.

Join the free, pre-game fan fest from 9-11:30 a.m. Oct. 12 in the Sally and Bob Weist Plaza between Mackey Arena and Holloway Gymnasium. Inflatables, a beer garden, giveaways, a live radio show and other family-friendly activities will be available. 

Welcome the football team’s arrival to Ross-Ade Stadium at the corner of Joe Tiller Drive and John R. Wooden Drive at 9:45 a.m. Oct. 12.

"Thrill on the Hill": The Purdue “All-American” Marching Band will perform at 10:30 a.m. Oct. 12 on Slayter Hill.

The Purdue Boilermakers take on the Maryland Terrapins at noon at Ross-Ade Stadium. There will be a SAAB flyover, an astronaut and Ever True campaign themed-halftime show, and the announcement of Homecoming royalty at the game. 

Visit a local corn maze commemorating Purdue’s anniversary. Exploration Acres, 6042 Newcastle Road, Lafayette, is collaborating with Purdue’s marketing team to bring special Boilermaker activities and events to the farm this fall. Tickets are generally $12 for adults, although some discounts are available. For more information, see explorationacres.com.