6/13/2018 Biomed expansion

The Innovation Wing will promote increased interdisciplinary synergies across Purdue and strong working partnerships with medical device companies.

Work is underway on a new addition the the Martin C. Jischke Hall of Biomedical Engineering. 

The addition to the building, according to a press release, is expected to cost $14 million and will provide the Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering room for expansion. 

"Our goal is to grow our educational and research programs by roughly 50 percent over the next several years," said George Wodicka, the Dane A. Miller head and professor of the Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering, in a press release.

Additional staff members are expected to be hired to utilize the growth of the school's physical footprint.  According to the release, the school plans to increase its core faculty to over 40 people, its postdoctoral fellows to 50, its graudaute students to over 200 and undergraduate students to over 400.

The need for space arose from exponential growth experienced over the course of the past decade. Originally dedicated in 2006, the Martin C. Jischke Hall of Biomedical Engineering has seen its faculty more than double, due in part to increased research being done by the department with federal research funds.

"The building expansion will provide a state-of-the-art platform for novel research, technology innovation, hands-on and online instruction, and outreach to current and new company and healthcare partners," Wodicka said. 

Plans indicate that the new 29,500-square-foot wing will include open-concept research labs, a behavioral core, a multidisciplinary student design lab and space for instructional and research laboratories. 

Construction is expected to wrap up in July 2019, and a grand opening ceremony is tentatively planned for Sept. 6, 2019.