10/21/19 Richard Chan

Richard Chan

The Purdue freshman accused of rape at a fraternity event pleaded not guilty Friday morning in Frankfort, Indiana, according to WLFI-TV.

Richard Chan, 18, of New Jersey, is facing two counts of rape and one count of attempted rape in Clinton County, where the rape allegedly occurred last weekend. Prosecutors say the alleged crime was recorded on his phone camera.

Authorities say Chan was attending a party at a barn on West County Road 0 N/S on Saturday. The party was hosted by the Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity at Purdue University, which had bussed members to the site about 9 p.m. Prosecutors said Chan, an engineering student, was a pledge for the fraternity and was "drinking a lot" at the party.

The victim, also a Purdue student, told police she was intoxicated and that she had earlier danced and had s'mores and lemonade. Toward the end of the party, the woman went to use a portable bathroom and was followed by Chan, according to court documents. The woman told investigators that she did not know Chan but that he "followed" her on Instagram.

Chan "ripped off her pants," sexually assaulted the woman against her will in the restroom and recorded the crime, according to prosecutors. Court documents said the woman then ran out and disclosed what happened.

She was taken back to Purdue's campus by bus, according to documents, and later to Franciscan Health for a sex-assault exam. But because the local hospital did not have a nurse on duty trained to give such exams, the victim was then taken to St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis, according to the documents, which do not say whether another hospital in Lafayette had a sex-assault nurse on duty.

Chan, contacted later, admitted to being in the bathroom and that he recorded the crimes, according to court documents. Prosecutors said the video showed the victim saying "no" to Chan several times. While a deputy was watching the videos, the probable cause affidavit said, "Chan laid his head on the table and began to cry."

Chan then admitted to detectives that there was a problem and it was because "he forced [the woman] to have sex."

The judge said Chan, whom Purdue has since suspended, could face three to 16 years in prison. A no-contact order has also been granted between Chan and the victim.

Chan was accompanied in court today by his family and his attorney, Tom O'Brien. The attorney declined to speak with WLFI-TV after the hearing.

Chan is out on bond and is banned from campus. A trial date was set for Jan. 27.

Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity has also been suspended, pending an investigation.