6/8/2018 NUCLEAR REACTOR

Purdue's nuclear reactor is the one and only nuclear reactor in Indiana

Purdue's bid to run a prominent nuclear laboratory has proven unsuccessful.

In April, the University submitted a bid to manage the Los Alamos National Laboratory, located in Los Alamos, New Mexico, in conjunction with Bechtel, an engineering, construction and project management firm. 

The National Nuclear Security Administration announced Friday afternoon that the contract was awarded to Triad National Security. The limited liability company was formed by Battelle Memorial Institute, the University of California and Texas A&M to submit a bid for the contract. 

The Trump administration has pushed for increased production of plutonium pits, which are small atom bombs placed on warheads that allow for long-range missile strikes.

"The lab will continue to be a critical resource to ensure the future of safety and security of the United States as we begin work on new endeavors, like the effort to recapitalize our plutonium pit mission," Lisa Gordon-Hagerty, under secretary for Nuclear Security and NNSA Administrator, said in a press release. 

Before the contract was opened to bidders, the lab was being operated jointly by the University of California and Bechtel. But the Obama administration announced in 2015 that it would not be renewing the contract because of a series of operational and safety errors. 

The lab is one of three national laboratories that reports to the president on the "state and health" of the nation's nuclear stockpile. 

Beyond the contributions Los Alamos provides to the country’s nuclear arsenal, it conducts research relating to national security, space exploration, renewable energy, medicine, nanotechnology and super-computing, according to the lab’s website.