5/27/19 William Crossley

William Crossley will be the new leader of Purdue's School of Aeronautics and Astronautics.

Engineering Dean Mung Chiang has announced William Crossley has been named head of Purdue’s School of Aeronautics and Astronautics.

Crossley will assume the position on July 20, the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing, according to a Purdue press release.

Crossley is a professor in the School of Aeronautics and Astronautics and director of Partnership to Enhance General Aviation Safety, Accessibility and Sustainability. Under Crossley’s leadership since 2013, PEGASAS has been awarded 32 projects and $19.1 million in FAA funds.

“Professor Crossley is not only an accomplished research leader of PEGASAS and a renowned educator on campus and online, he also has a deep appreciation of the unique conditions and opportunities at Purdue’s School of Aeronautics and Astronautics,” Chiang said in the release. 

Crossley received his bachelor's degree from the University of Michigan, and his master's and doctoral degrees from Arizona State University. He joined the Purdue School of Aeronautics and Astronautics as an assistant professor in 1995.

“As the incoming head, I look forward to serving the students, faculty and staff as we improve the School of Aeronautics and Astronautics’ impact and prominence as one of the top aerospace engineering programs in the world,” Crossley said. 

Crossley succeeds Tom Shih, who was the head of AAE for 10 years and will return to the AAE faculty after a year sabbatical.

As head of the growing School of Aeronautics and Astronautics, which has seen its enrollment increase nearly 50 percent in the last decade, Crossley will lead about 1,500 undergraduate and graduate students and 38 faculty members in the fall.