Purdue University’s Interfraternity Council, the student-led campus fraternity governing body, has captured its second national honor in the last three years.

Purdue’s IFC was presented a Council Award of Distinction from the North American Interfraternity Conference. The distinction recognizes interfraternity councils that excel in operations and that positively impact their member chapters, the fraternity/sorority community and host institutions. It follows a 2017 Chapter Award of Distinction from the conference. It also is the third time since 2011 Purdue’s IFC has received national honors.

“We have an extremely talented and dedicated group of interfraternity council leaders who take the Greek community’s role on campus and the community very seriously,” said Brandon Cutler, associate dean of students and director of Fraternity, Sorority and Cooperative Life at Purdue, in a press release. “This, honor, on top of the others from previous years, is a good testament to their efforts.”

Purdue’s IFC is the governing body for 42 fraternities campus, of which more than 3,000 men are members.

The Purdue group was selected for, among other things, being the first council to be fully compliant with the national body’s standards and standard operating procedures. Purdue’s IFC also has worked to improve the overall fraternity GPA two-tenths of a point since 2013. The four-year graduation rate is higher than university’s overall, 67 percent to 60 percent. Purdue also has increased total fraternity membership 13 percent in recent years and over the last two years more than doubled the community service hours provided, from 40,600 in 2012-13 to 98,415 in 2018-19.

The North American Interfraternity Conference represents 66 inter/national men’s fraternities. It’s current member organizations have 6,100 chapters on 800 campuses, with 380,000 undergraduate members and 4.2 million alumni.

In its online announcement, the NIC cited the Purdue Greek community's success in various areas as a qualifier for the 2019 award.

"In recent years, the Purdue IFC has worked to improve the fraternity average GPA, resulting in a graduation rate higher than the all-male average," the announcement said. "The council’s friendliness to growth and recruitment has led to a 13 percent increase in total fraternity membership in the past five years. Members have more than doubled the community service hours provided in the past two years."

• The NIC also honored Purdue's Pi Kappa Phi chapter one of five with a Chapter Award of Distinction designation. In the online announcement, it said, Pi Kappa Phi "consistently boasts membership data, statistics and performance metrics that set them apart, but the members truly embody service before self. They work to make the world a better place, primarily through their volunteer and fundraising efforts for Pi Kappa Phi’s national philanthropy, The Ability Experience."