7/11/19 solar panels

Duke Energy plans to build a 1.6 megawatt solar power plant in Discovery Park District near Purdue on the west side of U.S. Highway 52/231. The solar power plant will generate enough electricity to power about 230 average homes at peak production.

Duke Energy is building a 1.6-megawatt solar power plant in Discovery Park District near Purdue University on the west side of U.S. 52/231.

“We’ll use the clean, renewable energy from this solar plant for our Indiana customers,” Stan Pinegar, Duke Energy state president for Indiana, said in a news release. “Discovery Park at Purdue is a hub for innovation in science, technology and engineering, so building this plant there is a natural fit.”

Duke Energy will lease about 10 acres south of the Purdue Technology Center Aerospace building from the Purdue Research Foundation. Duke Energy will build and operate the new ground-mount solar power plant, to be named the Tippecanoe County Solar Power Plant.

“Sustainability has been one of four global advancements Purdue University has been celebrating this year while marking the 150th anniversary of the university’s founding, so this is an optimum time to add a solar facility at the Discovery Park District,” said Jeremy Slater, director of the Discovery Park District. “It’s another key step toward sustainability as we continue to develop the district.”

The solar power plant will generate enough electricity to power about 240 average homes with carbon-free energy, according to the release. The plant, which will have about 7,000 solar panels, and is expected to provide energy for more than 30 years. The new solar power plant will be constructed this summer and is expected to start providing power in late 2019.