9/4/19 Gold Rush cider

The imagery of the can is a reference to the Gold Rush of 1869, with a subtle nod to its Purdue heritage, according to Brad Smith, CEO of New Day Craft.

As Boilermakers prepare for Saturday’s home-opener, a new Purdue-themed drink will be joining the ranks of Boiler Gold and Boiler Black in Ross Ade Stadium this season — Gold Rush.

The hard dry cider was created by New Day Craft, an Indianapolis based craft mead and hard cider company ran by Purdue alum Brad Smith. While the cider will be exclusively sold in Ross Ade Stadium for the month of September, Gold Rush will be available locally in early October, Smith said.

“We wanted it to look and feel like a Purdue product,” Smith said, “yet at the same time, it’s not a Purdue product. It was more about giving a nod to Gold Rush apple and the imagery that goes with that. The train, as much as it aligns with Purdue, it’s really a nod to the Gold Rush of 1869.”

The cider does not exclusively contain Gold Rush apples, but rather a variety of apples, Smith said. While Smith was not confident on the price of the cider at Ross Ade, the retail price for a 4-pack will be $9.99, according to Smith.

The trend of Purdue-branded drinks has been a common sight for Boilermakers after Purdue announced its second beer, Boiler Black, last year as part of a collaboration with People’s Brewing Company.

New Day Craft was recently acquired by another Indianapolis based company, Fountain Square Brewery, which was acquired by Little Engine Ventures, a Lafayette based investment firm that is also run by Purdue alums.

The cider will be available this Saturday as Purdue prepares to take on Vanderbilt.