Condoleezza Rice

Condoleezza Rice

Tickets are available starting today for Condoleezza Rice, the 66th U.S. secretary of state, speaking at Purdue on Oct. 9.

The event, which is free with a ticket, is 6:30 p.m. at Elliott Hall of Music. Tickets can be reserved online using the promo code RICE. There will be a limit of four tickets per person.

The online link was having some issues Tuesday afternoon, but tickets also can be reserved by phone – 765-494-3933 or 800-914-SHOW – but tickets must be picked up at a campus box office by the requester using a valid photo ID.

This is one of many events celebrating Purdue’s sesquicentennial, 150 Years of Giant Leaps, according to a Purdue news release.

Rice served as secretary of state under President George W. Bush from January 2005-09. She was the second woman and first African-American woman to hold the position. From 2001-05, Rice was the first woman to serve as the national security adviser.

Rice has an extensive background in higher education. She has been on the faculty at Stanford University as a professor of political science since 1981 and has won two of the highest teaching honors, the Walter J. Gores Award for Excellence in Teaching in 1984, and the School of Humanities and Sciences Dean’s Award for Distinguished Teaching in 1993. Rice also served as Stanford’s provost for the institution’s chief budget and academic officer, from 1993-99.

Rice received her bachelor’s degree in political science from the University of Denver, her master’s from the University of Notre Dame and her doctorate from the Graduate School of International Studies at the University of Denver. She has received 15 honorary doctorates. Besides being a professor of political science at Stanford, Rice also currently serves as the Denning Professor in Global Business and the Economy at the Stanford Graduate School of Business, and as the Thomas and Barbara Stephenson Senior Fellow on Public Policy at the Hoover Institution.