4/1/13 City Bus Accident

Police examine the accident site after Andrew Fant, a student in the Undergraduate Studies Program, struck a CityBus while riding his bike in front of Stewart Center on Monday morning.

UPDATE:

Purdue student Andrew Fant, the male involved in the bus collision near Stewart Center on Monday morning, is still in critical condition at a local hospital. His parents have created a Facebook page in his support titled "Prayers for Andrew." They plan to share updates on his condition via that page.

A Purdue student was struck by a CityBus pulling into Oval Drive on Monday morning.

Andrew Fant, a student in the undergraduate studies program, was riding a bike eastward through campus, and collided with a Silver Loop bus outside of Stewart Center. The accident occurred at roughly 11:20 a.m. as the bus was rounding the corner off of State Street.

Witnesses reported that Fant was unresponsive at the scene, and as of Monday night he remained in critical condition at St. Elizabeth Health – East in Lafayette.

Purdue officials confirmed after watching video footage, provided by CityBus, of the accident that Fant was wearing headphones and his head was facing downward when the accident occurred. According to Tonya Agnew, manager of development for CityBus, Fant hit the side of the bus but did not appear to have gone under the bus.

“We did view the video, and apparently the cyclist just failed to stop,” Agnew said. “Thankfully, from the video, he doesn’t appear to have gone under a wheel.”

Hannah Alexander, a sophomore in the College of Liberal Arts, was on board the bus when the accident occurred. She said she thought someone had hit the bus but was shocked when she debarked the bus to see the injured student.

“All of sudden, we’re pulling up in front of Stewart and the whole back of the bus lifted up,” Alexander said. “We thought somebody hit the bus, and we come out, and there’s a body lying on the ground, and there’s blood everywhere ... I’m just really shaken up about this.”

Alexander said Fant appeared to be unresponsive to paramedics’ attempts to revive him.

“We got off the bus, and we saw him,” Alexander said. “He was unresponsive. I tried to give them space.”

Megan Barnes, a senior in the College of Science, said she arrived on the scene moments after the accident, describing it as shocking.

“I walked up, there might have been one police car here ... It was like something you’d see out of a movie,” Barnes said. “It was some scary stuff.”

By 2 p.m., police concluded their investigations at the scene and reopened the area to traffic.