6/12/19 Theresa Mayer

Theresa Mayer

Purdue President Mitch Daniels on Wednesday announced that Theresa Mayer, vice president for research and innovation at Virginia Tech, has been named Purdue's next executive vice president for research and partnerships.

Mayer, who will assume her role on Aug. 1, succeeds Suresh Garimella, who leaves Purdue at the end of June to become president at the University of Vermont.

According to a news release, Mayer has served since 2016 as vice president for research and innovation and a professor of electrical and computer engineering at Virginia Tech. She oversees the institution's portfolio of research and associated centers and offices, research activities within the colleges and institutes, technology transfer, industry partnerships, sponsored programs and compliance. Before her role at Virginia Tech, Mayer was at Pennsylvania State University for more than 20 years.

Mayer is internationally recognized for her research in applications of nanotechnology to electronic and photonic devices and microsystems, and her work in directed assembly of nanoparticles is being used to address a variety of device and manufacturing challenges, ranging from low-power integrated nanosensor circuits to nontraditional patterning processes. She holds a bachelor's degree from Virginia Tech, and master's and doctoral degrees in electrical engineering from Purdue.