Job Season Stress 10/30/19

Many students are beginning to apply for jobs, which can lead to stress and fear. However, the Center for Career Opportunities offers services which aid students in this process.

In the heart of Halloween season, many are preparing for the frightening task of applying to jobs for post-college life.

“I don’t even know where to start in the process of applying for jobs,” said Emma Korte, a junior in the College of Health and Human Sciences. “The whole thing is incredibly overwhelming.

“I know in the end it will work out, but the in-between stage is what scares me the most.”

Some students who plan on going to graduate school and beyond believe that the process becomes even more daunting.

“I’m going to grad school and then law school following that,” said Chloe Bryden, a junior in the College of Agriculture. “I know that the law job market isn’t the greatest, so I feel like it’s going to be even more confusing after my five extra years of education.”

Although the prospect of getting a job may seem intimidating, students have career services on campus. The staff at the Center for Career Opportunities say they understand the struggle and are there to help.

“Everyone starts at a different place,” said Julie Sutton, a graduate assistant at the CCO. “You are not the only one without an internship. You are not the only one that doesn’t have a job yet.”

Sutton said she sees an influx of students after breaks and they often have the same worries.

“People go home and see their parents, who then make them talk about their future, which is when the stress spikes,” Sutton said. “Those who come in here are all unsure of their abilities and skills.

“They really just need a confidence boost that their experience is valuable and that they have learned great things,.”

The CCO offers many different types of career help for students.

Students can come into the CCO from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. for 15-minute, quick-help appointments. For a longer session, students can make hour-long appointments, where they can work on job searching and career exploration with the peer consultants, Sutton said.

Among useful resources like examples of well-written resumes, the CCO’s Career Success Handbook lists 12 different things the CCO will help students with during their time in the career center. The handbook also includes several workshop topics that they offer, such as networking and job interviews.

One source of stress for students can occur when they try to compare themselves to others. However, that is not always something to worry about.

“It’s comforting to know that everyone’s in the same boat and that there is no right or wrong path,” Sutton said. “Everyone goes a different direction and that’s okay.”

Although Bryden said she is terrified of the future, she knows what career path she wants to take and believes that she can accomplish anything.

“I know that if I work hard and I’m dedicated, then I can achieve whatever I want,” Bryden said. “You have to power through the fear if you want to get s--- done.”