7/17/19 Cradle of Astronauts Collection

The newly announced collection of Apollo 11-themed apparel is available this week. 

In the spirit of the 50th anniversary of the 1969 lunar landing, Purdue, commonly known as the Cradle of Astronauts, will launch a limited-time-only line of apparel this week. 

Purdue is teaming up with CLC, its trademark licensing agent, to launch four new shirts and two hats. Both hats and one shirt feature a "Cradle of Astronauts" graphic. Two others boast a "150" to celebrate Purdue's 150th anniversary and the final shirt solely features the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing. 

“We’re thrilled to offer this one-of-a-kind, space-themed merchandise collection to provide Purdue fans and consumers the opportunity to show their excitement and pride that we all share the University’s rich history and leadership with the space program,” said Erika Austin, Purdue’s manager of trademarks and licensing, in a press release. “The special logo and unique designs help us achieve our goal of providing quality merchandise that reinforces the University’s overall brand.”

Merchandise will be made available this week to coincide with Saturday's anniversary of the landing, with more to come closer to the homecoming celebration on Oct. 12. Several astronauts will be honored at the game, according to the release. 

It was also recently announced that Purdue will be working with CLC to recreate the Purdue sweatshirt seen in the newest season of "Stranger Things," according to Austin. 

While Purdue is working to get the sweatshirt out as soon as possible, Austin said, the shirt may be tricky to replicate. 

"Right now, we are working with key Purdue licensees to see who can source the style of the blank," Austin said. "With the show setting being in the '80s, it is taking a little bit longer finding the style of the garment of a short-sleeve ringer sweatshirt."

If Purdue can't find the existing garment blank, then a licensee will have to remake the garment from scratch, which will delay the release of the sweatshirt, Austin said. CLC is working to communicate directly with Netflix in hopes to uncover the origins of the show's sweatshirt. 

All of the mentioned merchandise will be available at the Purdue Team Store locations in the Purdue Memorial Union and Ross-Ade Stadium, purdueteamstore.com and several area retailers, according to both Austin and the press release.