Purdue’s Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity is finishing construction on its new home on the corner of Third Street and Waldron Avenue.

The organization has been on Purdue’s campus since 1930. The fraternity originally resided in a house older than Purdue itself. The house was originally on the land before Purdue existed, as a farmer’s home on the original farmland.

With the age and rough shape of the house, it was clear to brothers of the fraternity that a major investment to construct a new house was necessary to remain competitive and provide a quality living environment.

“We’re glad to get out of that old shack,” said Phi Sigma Kappa President Aaron Hjermstad, a sophomore in the College of Pharmacy.

The organization set up a fundraising campaign in order to raise money needed to build a new home for the brothers. With the help of alumni, the fraternity managed to raise about $1.75 million.

In addition to raising money to build the new house, brothers of Phi Sigma Kappa had to put in further work that included recruiting new members to increase their membership population. The new house is meant to comfortably sleep 55 members.

The home offers a variety of features including a basketball court, study space, green space for outdoor activities and a large parking lot. A favorite of the soon-to-be residents is the fingerprint scanner at the entrance allowing those living in the house to easily enter and not have to worry about carrying or potentially forgetting keys or key fobs.

The fraternity hopes its new home will stabilize member populations and make members closer. Hjermstad says that the brothers are excited for their new home and are looking forward to being with one another again.

“The new house really exhibits how Greek life at Purdue is growing and the importance of Greek life to many Purdue students, just like the brothers in Phi Sigma Kappa,” said Rachel Narrow, a junior in Krannert School of Management.

According to Purdue’s website, the campus boasts one of the largest fraternity, sorority and cooperative communities with about 20 percent of undergraduate students being members.

Phi Sigma Kappa’s house will be completed in August 2018, just in time for new members to move in at the start of the new school year. For more information on the new house, visit http://302waldron.org