A Nobel Prize winner will join Purdue faculty for a discussion panel Thursday.

Presented by Krannert School of Management, the 'Economic Ideas Forum' is the inaugural event for the new John H. Schnatter Center for Economic Research at Purdue. According to a press release, the event will be sponsored by the Hugh and Judy Pence family and will include a public discussion panel and fireside chat. 

The discussion panel will take place at 1:30 p.m. Thursday in Krannert Auditorium and will focus on interdisciplinary perspectives on early childhood development and will highlight the work of three Purdue faculty: David Purpura, assistant professor of human development and family studies; Miguel Sarzosa, assistant professor of economics; and Sara Schmitt, assistant professor of human development and family studies.

James Heckman, Henry Schultz Distinguished Service Professor in economics at the University of Chicago, will be giving response comments. Heckman shared the Nobel Prize in economics in 2000 for his work on the microeconomics of diversity and heterogeneity establishing a sound causal basis for public policy evaluation. The discussion will be moderated by Justin Tobias, professor of economics and senior associate dean of the Krannert School of Management.

The fireside chat will take place at 4 p.m. on Thursday in Stewart Center's Fowler Hall and will be led by Heckman and David Hummels, professor of economics and dean of Krannert School of Management. The chat will focus on Heckman's work and his influence on the profession of economics and the public.

Both events are free and open to the public.