9/5/19 Chick-Fil-A off campus

Students will no longer have to drive approximately 20 minutes off of campus for Chick-Fil-A starting in fall 2020, but some University Senate members say allowing the business on campus will break with Purdue's inclusion policy.

With Chick-Fil-A setting up shop in one of the new dorms being constructed around campus, some faculty members are concerned with what message Purdue will be sending out.

During Monday’s University Senate meeting, members will discuss the proposal of a policy to require all commercial entities on campus property to promote inclusivity with their policies, hiring practices and actions, according to the senate's agenda.

Linda Prokopy, speaking as a senator and not as a representative of the Equity and Diversity Committee, said she thinks it’s fair to say that Chick-Fil-A's arrival triggered the proposal.

According to University Policy III.C.2, Purdue is committed to maintaining an inclusive and diverse community and does not tolerate or condone discrimination against any individual on any basis.

Some members believe allowing Chick-Fil-A, a company who's founder is openly against the LGBTQ community, on campus would be breaking the policy.

“The idea behind the resolution is simply to say this is Purdue’s policy, so why should we let somebody on Purdue’s space who doesn’t support the policy?” Prokopy said.

Equity and Diversity Committee Chair Audrey Ruple said the presence of businesses on campus that do not promote inclusivity goes against Purdue’s own policy.

“I firmly believe that so long as any one of the members of our own community feels excluded, we are falling short of our own values,” Ruple said.

Parking before flying

“We’re allowed to park anywhere, and now we’ve been told we can still park in the garage but they won’t reimburse us, Prokopy said. "They’ll only reimburse us up to the amount that it costs in the economy lot."

The senate also plans to discuss revoking the decision made over the summer by upper administrators to no longer bill Purdue for parking in the garage at the Indianapolis International Airport.

The bigger issue, Prokopy said, is not whether faculty should be allowed to park in the garage but that the administration passed the policy without consulting any appropriate or relevant senate committees.

She said the decision was made over summer when faculty were not employed by the University. She said she does not know when or how the decision was made, but she received an email at the end of July about the change.

“I don’t know (if) it’s breaking a rule, but it’s certainly violating trust between faculty, staff and administration,” Prokopy said.

IDs for free?

Another proposal the Equity and Diversity Committee will mention is to provide free replacement IDs for students who require them for voter identification purposes.

Currently, students requiring a new ID card — with an expiration date added — for voting purposes will be charged $10.

“I don’t think we should be putting up barriers to people voting in a democracy,” Prokopy said. “We should be encouraging and removing barriers for voting.”

The University Senate will be meeting at 2:30 p.m. on Monday in Room 241, Pfendler Hall.