6/25/19 Paul Etter

A Buck Creek man has been charged with eight counts that include rape and kidnapping as police continue to hunt for him after he allegedly kidnapped and assaulted a woman whose car became disabled Saturday night on County Road 900 East.

Paul A. Etter, 55, has been on the run as offices from several police agencies have hunted him using drone technology and dogs. 

Tippecanoe County Sheriff Bob Goldsmith told WLFI-TV an arrest warrant has been issued for Etter, who has not been found as of Tuesday afternoon. Goldsmith said he believes Etter remains in eastern Tippecanoe County.

The charging documents describe the ordeal.

The victim said she was driving toward her Delphi home about 4:30 a.m. when she got a flat tire, according to the probable cause affidavit filed Tuesday. After she pulled into a driveway along CR 900 East, she told police she was approached by a male - later identified as Etter - who asked whether she needed help. She told him she did not and drove toward a friend's house.

After she pulled into the friend's driveway, she assumed it was her friend who pulled up behind her, but instead it was Etter, who grabbed her, handcuffed her and proceeded to assault her.

She told police he later blindfolded her and forced her to walk to a nearby barn, where he shackled her ankles and attached them to a desk. Several hours later, according to the court record, Etter redressed, unshackled her and took her back to her car.

The victim and a friend later drove around looking for the scene before calling police. When they arrived, police saw a man later identified as Etter leave the scene on South CR 775 East in a truck.

Police say the victim, who identified a photo of Etter as the assailant, had many bruises and injuries.

He has been charged with mostly felonies that include rape, attempted rape, kidnapping, criminal confinement and sexual battery.

Police ask that anyone with information about Etter, who is considered armed and dangerous, contact the sheriff’s department at 765-423-9321 or the We-Tip Hotline at 1-800-78Crime.