3/30/19 NCAA Tournament, Virginia, Carsen Edwards, Kihei Clark

Junior guard Carsen Edwards drives to the basket guarded by Virginia freshman guard Kihei Clark.

Despite losing to Virginia in overtime and watching the miraculous season come to an end, Carsen Edwards added even more awards to his impressive college resume.

The junior guard was named the South Region’s most outstanding player, the first player to win the award and not win the regional final since Stephen Curry at Davidson in 2008.

Edwards also broke a record set by the NBA sharpshooter, by scoring 25 or more points in four straight NCAA Tournament games, dating back to last season’s loss to Texas Tech in the Sweet 16.

The junior started every game this season, shooting 39.4 percent from the floor, 35.5 percent from deep and 83.7 percent from the line. He also set a new NCAA Tournament record with 28 3-pointers.

Also named to the South Region’s tournament team were Purdue senior guard Ryan Cline and Virginia’s Kyle Guy, Ty Jerome and Mamadi Diakite.

Edwards caps off a season that saw him named Blue Ribbon Yearbook Preseason Player of the Year and Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year. Edwards is also a finalist for the Jerry West Award, given to the nation’s top shooting guard. The junior won the award last season following his sophomore campaign.