Express Photo 8/24/2012

The Purdue Memorial Union is a hotspot for students, faculty and campus visitors to stop by for a quick bite or drink on campus.

The Purdue Memorial Union Club Hotel will begin a massive renovation on June 3. The project is expected to last for a little over a year and end in August 2020.

The funding for these renovations is coming from two generous sources: Purdue alumnus Bruce White and his wife Beth are donating $15 million. Another $15 million is coming from the Dean and Barbara White Foundation.

White graduated from Purdue in 1975 with a degree in finance and was a member of Purdue’s Board of Trustees from 2011-2015.

“I am pleased to be able to put our resources to work for the renovation of the Union Club Hotel in to a first-class facility that the students, faculty and staff can be proud to call their own," White said in a press release last year.

The hotel was built 90 years ago as an addition to the Union, which was built to honor Purdue students who served in World War I. Some amenities and features of the Hotel haven’t been upgraded in 40 years.

“The primary components of the hotel renovation project include the renovation and updating of the guest rooms and the lobby, along with the renovation of space to create a new restaurant and bar,” said Jim Keefe, the senior director of capital program management, via email.

The Union Club Hotel isn’t the only thing that will be benefiting from the donations. The PMU itself will also be getting an upgrade.

"The Board of Trustees is in the middle of a feasibility study, which they are hoping to wrap up by May," said Zane Reif, the director of the PMU. "The feasibility study is very fluid. We are currently trying to talk to students to figure out the design and get ideas."

“The Union is one of my favorite spots on campus," said Saurav Basu, a freshman in the College of Engineering. "It is a really nice place to eat, especially when the dining halls get boring. I think renovations would make the place look and feel more modern and welcoming. I’m excited to see what ends up happening."