9/30/18 Tyler Trent

Former Purdue student and Exponent columnist Tyler Trent will be honored next month with a Stuart Scott ENSPIRE Award.

The fifth annual Sports Humanitarian Awards presented by ESPN will be July 9 at L.A. LIVE’s The Novo and will be hosted — for the first time — by Grammy Award winner singer and songwriter Ciara, according to a press release Wednesday from ESPN.

The Sports Humanitarian Awards are a celebration of the impact made by athletes, teams and sports industry professionals who use the power of sports to make a difference throughout the world. The evening will feature a special performance by acclaimed multi-platinum pop singer and songwriter Andy Grammer. Highlights of the evening will be showcased during a one-hour program on ESPN at 7 p.m. July 18.

The net proceeds of the event will benefit the Stuart Scott Memorial Cancer Research Fund at the V Foundation. To date, $7.5 million has been donated to the community on behalf of the Sports Humanitarian Awards.

In honor of former ESPN commentator Stuart Scott, this award celebrates individuals who have taken risks and used an innovative approach to helping the disadvantaged through the power of sports.

Here is how the ESPN news release described Trent: "The legendary Purdue fan’s story of courage and hope inspired and captivated a nation with his infectious spirit, gratitude and grace throughout his battle with the rare bone cancer osteosarcoma. Relentless in his battle and driven by his fandom for the Boilermakers, the 20-year-old honorary co-captain of the Purdue football team managed to attend classes and games, and never allowed cancer to prevent him from living out his dreams in sports journalism and serving others. He spent the final days of his life at home in hospice care, but Trent was committed to sharing his story to raise money to eradicate the disease and improve the lives of others who face a similar battle. He rose to national recognition and befriended many members of the sports industry, using his new platform to encourage fans to donate to cancer research -– raising more than $2.2 million for Purdue University, the Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health and the V Foundation."