After several trial delays over more than two years, former Purdue interim head coach Gerad Parker has pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of driving while intoxicated and sentenced to probation and community service.

Parker had worked for Purdue football for more than four years, two as tight ends coach and two working with wide receivers, when head coach Darrell Hazell was fired midseason in 2016 and Parker took over as interim coach.

Parker, 38, was arrested Feb. 20 while driving the wrong way in the 100 block of Pierce Street. Police say his blood-alcohol level was .11 percent.

ESPN reported at the time that Parker had been under consideration for a coaching job at East Carolina until he was arrested. He is now the wide receivers coach for the Penn State Nittany Lions.

Parker had tweeted an apology to his Twitter followers on Feb. 21 before deleting it. It said he and his wife had taken friends and former co-workers to dinner and believed he was under the legal limit to drive home.

"I feel awful & empty," Parker wrote in his tweet, "but I will pick myself up each morning fix the pieces that are broken and move forward knowing I was put on this earth to coach men to be great, to be a great husband and father, and be the son that my parents raised."

But Parker, now working out of town, fought the misdemeanor charge, including testifying at a hearing last fall for the case to be dismissed. A judge denied that request.

Court records show Parker took a plea deal by mail this week. He was sentenced Wednesday to 60 days in jail, but those days were suspended in lieu of 364 days of probation through Tippecanoe County and 28 hours of community service within six months. He is also subject to routine probation requirements, such as drug and alcohol evaluation and participation in a victim impact panel.