12/28/18 Music City Bowl, Tyler Trent

Tyler Trent and his family watch the Boilermakers take on the Auburn Tigers at the Music City Bowl.

Purdue sports superfan and national advocate for cancer research Tyler Trent, 20, passed away Tuesday.

The Carmel, Indiana, native was forced to leave Purdue earlier this year to enter hospice care. Trent has battled osteosarcoma, a rare bone cancer, since he was in high school. 

Since camping out in front of Ross-Ade Stadium during the 2017 football season, Trent's story has become a source of inspiration for people across the globe.

Then in October, Trent predicted Purdue's upset of then-No. 2 Ohio State and gained national attention with an ESPN College Game Day story about his plight. Afterwards, his story grew exponentially. 

In December, he was awarded Disney's Wide World of Sports Spirit Award, given annually to college football's most inspirational individual or team.

Just last week, he acted as the honorary captain at the Music City Bowl, where Purdue lost to Auburn. 

Trent advocated for cancer research at every turn, using his story to help raise funds. He partnered with the V Foundation for Cancer Research, and Purdue University's Center for Cancer Research, where Trent served on the director's advancement board, started an endowment to honor Trent. 

Creighton Suter, The Exponent's editor-in-chief, released the following statement:

"Tyler had a presence like few others in the newsroom during his time at The Exponent. He brought an enthusiasm to the job that was difficult for anyone to match. The Exponent staff will miss the always strong and ever-true voice of our late colleague." 

Purdue Athletics issued a statement, which said:

"First and foremost, we offer our condolences to Tyler's family and friends. While there are no words to erase the hurt at times like this, we hope to some comfort can be found in knowing what an inspiration Tyler is to our student-athletes, coaches, staff and fans. The entire Purdue Athletics family has been touched by his courageous ballet, positive spirit and unwavering faith. Tyler was the embodiment of a true Boilermaker who will live on in each of us. We will forever be #TylerStrong."

Gov. Eric Holcomb offered the following statement on Tuesday evening:

"Tyler Trent was among the biggest, strongest and wisest people you could ever meet. He reminded us what being good is all about. I'm convinced Tyler was touched by our Lord and guided home every step of the way. Janet and I send our love to the Trent family and remain here for them."

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.