04/10/18 PSG election reveal

Members of Purdue Student Government discuss the results of the 2018 election.

Shared-ticket presidential candidate Aaron Banks and vice presidential candidate Olivia Keller won the 2018 Purdue Student Government elections in a close victory, as announced at PSG's official election reveal Tuesday.

Banks and Keller won with 55.6 percent of the vote, while runner-ups Carley Jagel and Dhruv Bhargava followed with 44.4 percent.

New student senators for the 2018-2019 year were also announced. These include: Ayelet Bernstein for the College of Education; Daniel Painter, Timothy Wintering and Nicholas Schleinkofer for the College of Engineering; Hannah Walter, Alex Griffin-Little and Spencer Henderson for the Honors College; Gracen Stanczykiewicz, Zach Stewart and Justus Thomas for the College of Liberal Arts; Calvin Robinson for the School of Management; Priya Pillai and Rick Kase for the College of Science; and Alexandra Rodrigues and Christopher Churchill for Exploratory Studies.

The swearing-in ceremony for Banks and Keller will take place on Wednesday, and their work in the executive office starts immediately. This weekend, they will accompany current president and vice president Sam Eschker and Jon Jones to Washington, D.C., for "Big Ten on the Hill," a conference organized for student governments of Big Ten universities around the country.

Though Keller joked that she hasn't "been able to sleep for the last two weeks, or eat," she is excited to begin work.

"We only have four weeks (left of the semester) but we want to get a good starting base so that we can do things over the summer," she said. "We can all be on the same page over the summer, and then we can kind of draft some of the new legislations that we want to change, draft new constitutions, things like that."

Banks spoke with excitement of the work their campaign did and how he wants to translate it into PSG's mission going forward.

"Everybody's worked so hard together, and worked very quickly and efficiently," he said. "And that's kind of what I want from PSG as well. … In football, coaches always talk about no wasted movement. That's the kind of thing I want to see in PSG, and that's the thing that our campaign did to put us in this position to win."