11/6/19 WL scooter parking

The city established regulations for electric scooters in March that include set parking spaces, among other things. Purdue's task force will examine what kind of regulations may need to be set up for scooters and other electric vehicles on campus.

Purdue President Mitch Daniels announced Monday the creation of a task force meant to address safety issues caused by electric vehicles like scooters and skateboards.

The task force will look at existing regulations and determine whether they should be expanded, according to a Purdue press release. New regulations may include speed limits, restrictions on hours of operation, helmet requirements or a total ban of personal electric vehicles from campus or areas of campus.

Its work will build on that done by an ad hoc committee of the University Senate to improve understanding of transportation policies that already exist.

The task force will also examine whether potential new regulations should be extended to traditional bicycles and skateboards.

More than a dozen serious accidents have been reported to the Purdue University Police Department since the beginning of the school year, according to the release.

"Our numbers show that electric skateboards are the most dangerous of these alternative transportation modes that we have on our campus," said PUPD Chief John Cox.

The Purdue University Fire Department also constantly gets reports of injuries, near-misses, and rider speed, according to its chief.

"There's not been a week go by that we haven't had a report of an injury," said Chief Kevin Ply.