Purdue's Board of Trustees approved a proposal to update Ross-Ade Stadium renovations in Friday’s meeting.

The construction plans include updating the pavilion and construction of an additional south end zone building. The upper bowl of the stadium will also be replaced.

The second project is replacing the video board to one of a higher-resolution at the south end zone.

The board’s chairman, Mike Berghoff, said he thinks a newer high-resolution video board would make a better experience for people seated in the north end zone of the stadium.

“Those are the toughest seats for us to sell,” Berghoff said. “Now they’ll be sitting in a massive theater.”

Demolition of the current board is expected to begin December with the new video board up by summer 2020, according to a press release.

The total cost is $4,40,000 for the next stages of renovating out of the estimated total of $100 to $120 million for the Ross-Ade projects.

The board also evaluated amending the athletic director’s five-year contract.

“We are trying to tell the athletic director that you have done well and we want to recognize that,” trustee Tom Spurgeon said.

Athletic Director Mike Bobinski’s contract will be extended for another three years. The contract proposes an increase to $750,000 with a merit increase of $25,000 a year, Spurgeon said.

Bobinski’s contract also has an incentive package, which includes tracking financial athletic success, football game wins and academic support for the potential of an additional $200,000.

The incentive won’t apply if there is a violation before compliance. There is also a deferred compensation of $150,000.

Aside from athletics, trustee Cheryl Cooky said a civics literacy survey will be given to freshmen attending “Boiler Gold Rush.” The survey’s purpose is to compare Purdue students to other demographic groups in civics literacy understanding.

Last year, President Mitch Daniels proposed making certain that students pass some sort of civics test before they graduate, but the idea has met some resistance from faculty members.