9/9/19 Chen Guangcheng

Chen Guangcheng

How will the advancements in artificial intelligence affect human rights in the future?

A man known as the “barefoot lawyer” will discuss the negative impacts of AI on Sept. 17 during the talk “Artificial Intelligence and Freedom: Could the Barefoot Lawyer Have Escaped in 2019?” as part of Purdue’s “Giant Leaps” lecture series, according to a Purdue News release.

Chen Guangcheng worked in rural Chinese communities to defend the rights of “the poor, disabled and persecuted,” the release says. After releasing a memoir detailing his life and experiences growing up blind, Guangcheng was punished by authorities. He was incarcerated for over four years, put on house arrest and in secret detention, though eventually escaped China to an American embassy.

Since then, Guangcheng has talked at numerous conferences around the world and won several prizes for his advocacy work, including the The Ramon Magsaysay Award in 2007, the Lantos Human Rights Prize in 2012, the UK Parliament’s Westminster Award in 2013, the Geneva Summit for Human Rights and Democracy Courage Award in 2014 and the Time magazine 100 Most Influential List in 2006.

The talk is made possible through a collaboration between the colleges of Liberal Arts and Engineering, and is free to the public. It will be held at 7 p.m. on Sept. 17 in Wetherill Laboratory of Chemistry, Room 104.