12/9/19 Mung Chiang

Professor and engineering dean Mung Chiang will be working as the science and technology adviser to the U.S. secretary of state starting Sunday.

Mung Chiang, Purdue’s John A. Edwardson Dean of the College of Engineering, has been elected one of seven international fellows of the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences in 2020.

Chiang will be invited to an induction meeting for new International Fellows in the spring, according to a Purdue news release. He and Stanford University President Marc Tessier-Lavigne are the only two elected international fellows from the United States this year. 

“IVA’s mission is to improve society through the promotion of the engineering and economic sciences and the advancement of business and industry,” said Tuula Teeri, president of IVA. “Knowledgeable and talented fellows are crucial in order for the academy to fulfil that mission. The recently inducted fellows – top names in the business community and recognized researchers – are a fantastic resource for the academy.”

Chiang joins 59 engineers and scientists as International Fellows of the Royal Swedish Academy from the U.S., including Purdue professors Jan-Anders Mansson and Byron Pipes, as well as Subra Suresh, the former National Science Foundation director and Carnegie Mellon University president, and Vint Cerf, a “father of the internet,” according to the release.

The organization describes itself as building bridges between the business community, the public sector, academia and the political sphere. New fellows are inducted annually.