7/10/19 Purdue professor Shreyas Sen

Shreyas Sen, a Purdue assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering, founded BDYWR LLC in fiscal year 2019 as he develops a method of using the human body as an internet that could be used to securely authenticate and communicate among human-computer interaction devices. 

With 360 invention disclosures, Purdue University researchers experienced a record-breaking year in the number of innovations filed through the Purdue Research Foundation Office of Technology Commercialization, according to a news release.

The University reports another strong year for startup and commercialization activities, officials announced Wednesday.

In the previous fiscal year of 2018, Purdue reported 302 disclosures.

Also for fiscal year 2019, which ended June 30, the Purdue Research Foundation Office of Technology Commercialization and Purdue Foundry posted technology transfer activities including:

* 231 technologies licensed, compared with 215 in fiscal year 2018.

* 136 licensing and option agreements, compared with 126 in fiscal year 2018.

Purdue also generated 48 startups with 17 of those originating from Purdue-licensed intellectual property, besting last year’s record-breaking year by three when there were 45 startups with 25 of those originating from Purdue-licensed intellectual property in fiscal year 2018.

Since the beginning of fiscal year 2014, Purdue has generated more than 250 startups, more than $350 million in funding and investments and nearly 350 new jobs, according to the release. The research concentrations reported in the disclosures include sustainability, health, space and artificial intelligence.

"There is nothing of which we are more proud than the outstanding research and discovery of our faculty and students," Purdue President Mitch Daniels said in the release. "But the ultimate measure of its value, especially for a land-grant university like ours, is its practical usefulness to our society. These latest commercialization records show Purdue living up fully to the land-grant ideal."

Purdue also is ranked 12th in the world among universities granted U.S. utility patents in 2018, matching its best finish in the annual rankings released last month by the National Academy of Inventors and the Intellectual Property Owners Association.

In 2017, the Milken Institute ranked Purdue 12th in its list of best universities for technology transfer, ranking Purdue No. 1 in the Midwest and No. 1 nationally among public institutions without a medical school.

Resources available through the Purdue entrepreneurial ecosystem include the Purdue Foundry, Purdue Research Foundation Office of Technology Commercialization and the Anvil.

"We showed for the first time a physical understanding of the security properties of human body communication to enable a covert body area network, so that no one can snoop important private information," Sen said. “Purdue’s strong entrepreneurial ecosystem has helped us to be well positioned to take our technology into the world.”