5/21/15 Perimeter Parking

New parking rules disallow backing into parking spaces, pulling through spaces in parking lots and otherwise parking in a way that covers a license plate.

The idea that “with great technology comes greater responsibility” rings true in the case of Purdue’s new parking regulations.

Instead of requiring students and faculty to display physical parking permits in the windshields of their vehicle, Purdue’s new system, known as License Plate Recognition, streamlines the process by linking the purchased permit to the license plate itself. By using specially designed parking enforcement vehicles to automatically scan passing cars, the LPR system allows for cars all across campus to be checked throughout the day.

The parking facilities department is enforcing new rules to keep people from concealing their lack of a permit.

“Citations will be issued to the vehicle owner if ... parking enforcement staff are unable to scan a license plate when the vehicle is parked,” the Purdue University Parking website reads.

“License plates must face the drive lane to be scanned for compliance.”

For those driving a car on campus, this means backing into parking spaces, pulling through spaces in parking lots and otherwise parking in a way that covers a license plate is banned.

Sabra Moulton, the assistant director of strategic operations in transportation services at Purdue, clarified the updated rules for student and faculty drivers.

“It is the responsibility of the permit holder to properly display their permit,” Moulton said via email. “If it is not readable, a citation of ‘Improper Display of Permit’ could be issued. This is very similar to citations given out when the physical permit was not in the window — now it is the plate that needs to be viewed.”

As this is a considerable change compared to how parking permits worked in the past, Purdue’s parking department has prepared drivers for the past few months and has used this week to warn drivers of the new rules.

“Starting next week we will be issuing citations,” Moulton said. “Since Aug. 20, we’ve issued 204 warnings for license plates not facing the drive lane and 193 warnings for not having a valid permit, which is actually fewer than the same time frame in 2017.”

Though these rules may be new to many drivers around campus, regulations dictating how one may park have been around for ages, according to Purdue Police Capt. Song Kang.

“As a matter of fact, garages used to post ‘No backing into parking spaces’ signs,” Kang said via text message. “Now, we don’t.”

Students can check if they have any unpaid parking citations or view their current permits at Purdue’s parking portal website.