Parking permits help avoid tickets

A car is parked with a ticket in the windshield wiper.

What happens if I get busted for alcohol/drugs in my dorm?

It's Friday night, and your friends just got to your dorm. It's your first weekend in college, and you wanna make it one to remember. Just as you pull that sweet $7 vodka from your free Purdue string bag, you hear a knock on your door.

It's your R.A.

Purdue has a strict policy against drugs and alcohol in residence halls and other Purdue property. If a student is caught on campus with drugs or alcohol, they are the subject to discipline from the Office of the Dean of Students regardless of their age. For alcohol and minor drugs like marijuana, students with no history of misconduct most often receive a disciplinary warning or probation, according to previous Exponent reporting. Those students are also enrolled into mandatory drug education classes.

Students who are repeat offenders can face more extreme punishments up to and including expulsion, according to Purdue's website.

Exceptions to these rules, given an individual is 21 or older, are as follows:

• Family apartments and single graduate residences in Purdue Village
  • Registered occupants of guest rooms in the Union Club
  • Sporting events in specially designated areas
  • Purdue Memorial Union 1869 Tap Room

Members of fraternities, sororities and cooperative housing who are 21 or older can possess and consume alcohol given the following conditions:

• Under no circumstances may alcoholic beverages be sold
  • Alcoholic beverages may not be available at any event where an admission fee is charged
  • Alcoholic beverages may not be consumed outside the house
  • Alcoholic beverages and containers for alcoholic beverages may not be displayed outside the house
  • Alcoholic beverages may not be provided or consumed at an open event

Purdue also reserves the right to refer students to police whenever there is an incident. 

Great, now the cops are involved.

Your R.A. just finished pouring your vodka down the sink, and told you to expect to hear from ODOS soon. Now paranoid, your friends decide to go home. You and your roommate are sharing a bag of Doritos on the futon when another knock comes from the door. Your roommate gets up and check the peephole. 

"Shit," he says under his breath.

"It's the cops."

Purdue police might give you a warning for alcohol or weed on occasion, but most of the time you'll end up with a citation. Keep in mind that a citation is still an arrest. The only difference is that you aren't booked into the jail. Usually police don't like to book people for things like alcohol, or marijuana. If you get a citation, you still need to show up to your court date and pay a fine. If you fail to do so, a judge will issue a warrant for your arrest. 

If you're convicted of a drug-related crime, not only could you see anything from fines to probation to jail time, but you may also lose eligibility for federal student loans. 

Read more about what happens if you're arrested for possession of marijuana here.

Good Samaritan/Lifeline Laws. 

If you only take one lesson from this story, let this one be it:

If you're with someone who's having a medical emergency, are a victim of sexual assault or are actively witnessing a crime, CALL 911!

If you're afraid your friend might have be experiencing alcohol poisoning or overdosing on something, pick up the phone and dial. If you've just been sexually assaulted, battered or harassed in any way, pick up the phone and dial. If you happen to be drunk at the Lafayette City Bank (Hey I don't judge), pick up the phone and dial

Police will not prosecute you for being drunk or high if any of these conditions are at play.

We can just walk home, it'll be fine. 

It's been two weeks since you were cited for underage drinking. You attended your court date and the judge let you off with a warning. To celebrate, you and your roommate go to a frat party. When you get to the house, you park your car along the street. 

"The sign says no parking," your roommate says to you. 

"It's fine," you reply. "They never give out tickets on the weekends."

After a long night of partying, you decide it's time to hit the hay. You're too drunk to drive home, but you can't afford an uber, so you decide to walk. You and your roommate are stumbling wildly along Northwestern Avenue when you see police lights.

"Oh not again," you say. 

Similar to drugs and alcohol, public intoxication could land you with another citation, but you're just as likely to get booked into the jail for a night. 

But here's the tricky part:

Drunk people like to be difficult. If you don't comply with everything the police do, they'll slap you with a resisting arrest charge faster than you can say beer pong. 

If you do get booked, have fun calling mom and dad to bail you out. 

Once again, keep in mind, don't miss your court date!

I knew I shouldn't have parked there. 

After verbally berating you over the phone for an hour, your parents finally agree to bail you out of jail. You catch an Uber back to the frat house to retrieve your car, and your heart skips a beat. 

A small yellow envelope shines in the sun from under your window wiper. 

Campus parking passes will vary in price depending on their location and access, but most passes will range from $50 to $100. Depending on your residence hall, or if you live off campus, you'll be given different spots you can park in. IF you get a ticket, you have two options.

The first option is just paying the $35 ticket. You do that through the Purdue parking portal online. If you don't want to fork over 35 bucks, you can appeal the ticket using that same portal. I've received about seven or eight parking tickets in my time at Purdue, and only two of my appeals have ever been denied, so take that how you will.

If your appeal gets denied, you can take it a step further to student court, which is literally just a Zoom meeting with a bunch of random students in their dorms. You tune in, explain why you parked where you did and beg them not to make you pay the ticket, then they deliberate and decide your fate. 

If you're trying to avoid getting more tickets, just save the ticket you got and leave it on your car every time you park illegally. that way, police will assume someone already gave a ticket and will leave your car alone. (No promises that this works). 

Dude, don't tell anyone I got arrested. 

EVERYONE CAN ALREADY SEE YOU GOT ARRESTED YOU BIG DUMMY.

Pull up a web engine of your choosing and type in "mycase.in.gov." Then type on your name. You'll see every criminal and civil case you have ever been involved in in the state of Indiana. Unless you get a case expunged, this will never go away.

What do I do if I feel unsafe on campus? 

If you are ever in immediate danger for any reason, don't hesitate to dial 911. Campus police are here to help you first and foremost. If your issue isn't an emergency, you can call PUPD at 765-494-8221. 

If you're uncomfortable walking home from class alone late and night, call 765-494-7233 and someone will be sent to walk you home free of charge. 

If you or someone you know is having a mental health crisis, dial 765-495-4357 for emergency counseling and psychological services. 

Too many onions numbers for you to remember all at once? Whip that brand-spankin-new student ID out and flip it over to find all the emergency numbers you'll need.