Purdue President Mitch Daniels announced Tuesday the construction of two new buildings that will house the Polytechnic Institute and College of Engineering at the site of the current nuclear engineering building.

Called the Engineering and Gateway Complex, it will cost $140 million, with $40 million coming from the Lilly Endowment, Inc., $60 million from the state of Indiana and the remaining $60 million coming from private contributions. The two buildings will comprise about 255,000 square feet, according to a Purdue press release.

The Lilly Endowment was motivated by a desire to attract more STEM talent to Indiana, according to chairman, CEO and president of Lilly Endowment Clay Robbins.

“Lilly Endowment is proud of Purdue’s world-class reputation,” Robbins said. “And the fact that so many of its graduates are sought after by leading employers around the world, we would like to help raise the profile of the appealing jobs here in Indiana.”

The Gateway Complex will also allow Purdue to expand its STEM enrollment.

“The Gateway complex will help Purdue build the capacity to expand the number of students it can prepare to be engineers, technologists and STEM leaders,” Robbins said.

The new building will also give students access to Indiana businesses under a program called the Hoosier Hot Corner. The program will give Indiana businesses access to faculty, researchers and students at Purdue.