Sigma Alpha Lambda advertises food drive in chalk

Members of Sigma Alpha Lambda advertise their food drive in chalk. From left, Craig Sheehan, Louis Schroeder and Nayli Ahmad.

A local honor society is collecting nonperishable food from now until the beginning of December as part of a competition with an affiliated chapter at Indiana State University.

“Food Fight Against Hunger” is a global initiative put on by Sigma Alpha Lambda every year. The organization pairs up chapters from different universities and the societies compete to collect the most food donations.

“The food drive has already started and will continue until Dec. 1,” said Craig Sheehan, Purdue’s Sigma Alpha Lambda president. “Through the month of October we will be going head-to-head against our ‘rival’ Indiana chapter, Indiana State University.”

According to Sheehan, all food and monetary donations that are given to the chapter at any of their donation locations — Stewart Market, Lyles-Porter Hall and possibly Tarkington Hall and Third Street Market in the future — will be donated to Food Finders in Lafayette.

“By donating canned and packaged food, which are easily available at local grocery stores at subsidized rates or low costs,” said chapter vice president Aishwarya Chitnis, “Purdue students can not only help SAL’s Purdue chapter to win this initiative but help us get us closer to achieve a bigger and global goal of ending world hunger.”

According to Chitnis, Purdue’s Sigma Alpha Lambda chapter was among the top-grossing teams during last year’s competition, despite having one of the smaller chapters.

“We are always looking for new ways to help the community with various fundraisers and events, like Food Fight Against Hunger, to help those who are in need,” Jason Cao, the chapter secretary said. “This organization is mutually beneficial between both students and the community, as this organization also gives students the opportunity to develop their leadership skills and become better people overall.”

Those who cannot go to one of the food-drive locations can contact the society for more information.

“This year is even more important for our chapter, as the overall winning chapter gets a check from the national office to donate to a charity of our choice,” Sheehan said. “Over the past eight years, Sigma Alpha Lambda has raised over 120,000 items to help the nearly 1 in 8 people experiencing hunger.”