Purdue’s Tyler Trent, who was a visitor at Ross-Ade Stadium again on Saturday, was a special guest on BTN’s Tailgate pregame live broadcast near the Neil Armstrong Engineering Center.

In a five-minute live segment called TIAA Instant Legend, the Big Ten Network’s Michelle McMahon did an interview with him.

“Tyler, you’ve impacted this Purdue football team, it has been heavily documented but you’ve also impacted the nation and the school you love so much,” McMahon said to Trent. “What does it mean to have the support of all these people behind you in this battle?”

Trent replied, “Oh, it’s incredible. It’s what keeps me going pretty much every day – the support, the encouragement and the love that I’ve receiver whether it be through social media, texts from friends, encouragement from family or just being in town with people. It’s everything, it keeps me going for sure.”

McMahon said bobbleheads that went for sale on Friday, had sold 700 within the first seven hours of being offered online. A portion of the proceeds will be used for cancer research.

Trent told her it was a dream of his to be able to have an impact on cancer research.

“I have lived it (cancer) for four years of my life,” he said. “Just to have that kind of impact – it’s hard for me to believe, but I have to choose to believe in some way.”

McMahon praised Trent for keeping a positive attitude through all his trials with his cancer, now terminal.

“It all goes back to my faith; that’s the cornerstone of my life,” he said. “When I was first diagnosed, I found the verse 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, which says, ‘rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in everything for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus through you.’ So, every day I try to live that. Every day I try to rejoice and give thanks and pray. Just because I know this is exactly what God wants for me.

“And this is the plan that He has for me right now.”

McMahon got choked up during the interview and asked Trent what message he might want to convey given his recent fame.

“I was once told we all have a story there just needs to someone needs to be someone willing to listen to it. And in my case, someone was willing to listen to it and it’s kinda where I’ve gotten where I have. Everyone is batting something to some degree. Everyone has cancer, I would say to one degree whether it be their personal cancer be mental illness, depression or something along those lines. So, take time out of your day to listen to others.”

BTN Tailgate host Dave Revsine and his panel were choked up after the interview, too.

Editor's Note: Tyler Trent is a columnist for the Exponent.