1/2/19 Police Stock Images, Purdue University Police

Purdue University police offer a reminder that personal transactions with strangers should be conducted in well-lit public places where other people are present after an incident Tuesday night in the 600 block of North University Street.

Purdue police received a call just before 10:30 p.m. reporting that an individual had been robbed after the victim met two individuals to negotiate the purchase of an Apple watch that the victim had posted for sale on Facebook, they said in a release. Before the sale, and while physically inspecting the watch, the suspect and an accomplice quickly backed out of a parking space and sped off with the watch.

The suspects are described as two black males driving a newer model white Ford Explorer.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Purdue Police Department at 765-494-8221. The WeTip anonymous hotline, which is used by all Greater Lafayette law enforcement agencies, also is available at 1-800-78CRIME (1-800-782-7463).

Police urge people to be vigilant on such transactions.

“Any time you are conducting any sort of transaction with an individual, be sure the area in which you choose to meet would be difficult for a theft to occur,” said Purdue police Capt. Keene Red Elk. “If the other person starts changing meeting locations, that’s definitely when flags should go up.”